The Department of Navigation offers two separate programs to certify students as either Skippers or Masters of Navigation. The separate sets of admission requirements for these programs are listed below.
Admission requirements for Skipper program:
- At least 12 months of seafaring experience aboard vessels weighing 20 tons or more.
- At least 3 of these 12 months of seafaring experience must have been spent aboard fishing vessels weighing 20 tons or more.
- Applicants are required to have passed a vision and hearing examination within the last two years (and present proof of this upon application).
- Applicants are required to have completed primary school, in addition to grades 9. or 10. of lower secondary school, and passed the following subjects: Faroese, Danish, English, Physics, and Mathematics.
- If a student has completed in Klaksvík, this qualifies as 9 months of seafaring experience.
Program duration: 1½ years.
- Admission requirements for Master of Navigation program:
– Successful completion of the Department of Navigation’s Skipper program.
– At least 6 months of additional seafaring experience aboard vessels weighing 500 tons or more
– Applicants are required to have passed a vision and hearing examination within the last two years (and present proof of this upon application).
Program duration: 1½ years (3 years including requisite Skipper program) Copies of the following documents must accompany all application forms:
- The discharge book
- Hearing and vision exam (passed)
- Birth certificate
- Primary and lower secondary school diplomas
- Color photograph
These admission requirements should not to be mistaken for those needed to receive a trade license. For more information, click here.